This light Mediterranean pasta dish is packed with healthy ingredients and will leave you satisfied without feeling stuffed. Plus, you can make it with many items that you have in the pantry or freezer, so it's perfect for a quick, weeknight meal.
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 8 ounces multigrain thin spaghetti (I used Barilla Plus)
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken or turkey breast (about 2 large breasts), cut into bite size pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided use
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed (can use canned)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- ½ cup chopped, fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Place the sundried tomatoes in a small bowl and soak them in warm water to soften them. If using tomatoes packed in oil, you can skip this step.
- To make the sauce, stir the chicken stock, lemon juice, zest and flour together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the spaghetti. Cook according to package directions, until al dente. Drain and reserve about ½ cup of the pasta water.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large sauté pan or skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook without moving it until it is browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook on the other side until browned. Remove the chicken and set aside in a bowl.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the remaining teaspoon oil. Add the garlic and chili flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir the sauce mixture and pour it into the pan. Stir to pick up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Drain the sundried tomatoes and slice them. Add them to the pan along with the artichokes, capers and chicken. Simmer for a few minutes to allow the ingredients to heat up and the flavors to meld. Add the pasta along with the basil and cheese. Toss to combine all ingredients well. Add some of the reserved pasta water as needed until the sauce reaches the desired consistency. Garnish with fresh basil and serve.