All of the flavors of banana bread packed into little muffins! These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are the perfect portable breakfast or snack.
Banana bread is my ultimate comfort food. When it’s cold outside, I often crave warm, comforting foods and banana bread definitely fits the bill. Plus, when it’s baking in the oven, it makes your whole house smell absolutely divine!
My Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins have all of the flavors of banana bread packed into adorable little muffins! They’re just the right size for a quick grab-and-go breakfast when you’re rushing out the door in the morning. They’re also the perfect addition to my daughter Sienna’s lunchbox or an easy, nutritious after school snack.
These muffins are packed with flavor as well as nutrients. I use a mixture of white whole wheat and all-purpose flour to incorporate healthy whole grains into the dish. White whole-wheat flour has all of the nutritional benefits of whole wheat flour with a lighter texture and milder flavor and works really well in baked recipes like this one. Ground flaxseed provides plenty of brain-boosting omega-3 fatty acids and an extra boost of fiber.
When you make these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, you’ll want to use the ripest bananas that you can find because they will be the sweetest. This recipe is a great way to get rid of those brown bananas on your counter that are getting past their prime! A good tip I recently learned is that if you don’t have any really ripe bananas, you can bake them in the oven at 300°F for 30-40 minutes until the skins are blackened. Then they’ll be perfectly soft and ready to stir into the muffin batter!
Of course I couldn’t just leave the banana muffins alone- I had to add some dark chocolate chips to the mix. After all, chocolate makes everything better! It definitely puts a smile on Sienna’s face!
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 ½ cups mashed very ripe banana (3-4 bananas)
- ⅓ cup vanilla plant-based milk (or dairy milk)
- 2 large eggs or flax eggs*
- ¼ cup safflower or other neutral-flavored oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar or light brown sugar
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Mix the bananas, milk, eggs, oil, and vanilla together in the bowl of a stand mixer until combined. Add the sugar and continue to mix until combined.
- Whisk the flours, flaxseed, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the mixer and beat until just combined (do not over-mix). Stir the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Remove the muffins and cool completely on wire rack.
CLICK BELOW TO PIN!