This Wild Greens & Quinoa Grain Bowl is easy, healthy and delicious- you can’t beat that!
Did you know that March is National Nutrition Month? I decided to celebrate this occasion by making one of my favorite dishes- a grain bowl. If you’ve never made a grain bowl before, it’s the perfect vehicle for combining a variety of healthy grains, vegetables, protein and other ingredients, all in one convenient bowl. It’s an excellent weeknight meal- quick, easy and nutritious. And it’s also a great way to empty out the contents of your fridge!
homemade spice rub and grilled. Finally, I sprinkled the bowls with some sliced almonds, crispy quinoa and crumbled feta cheese, all from the salad kit.
learned about this technique from my friend and fellow blogger Lisa Lin and figured that it would be the perfect finishing touch for my grain bowl. It came out so beautiful and it was pretty easy to make. Check out Lisa’s video here.
Wild Greens & Quinoa Grain Bowl
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 12 ounces)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups cooked brown rice (decrease to 1 cup)
- 1 ½ cups cooked red quinoa (decrease to 1 cup)
- 1 package Eat Smart Wild Greens & Quinoa Gourmet Vegetable Salad Kit
- Avocado slices for garnish
- Olive oil spray
- Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium high heat and spray with olive oil. Season the chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix the chili power, cumin, smoked paprika and sugar together in a small bowl. Sprinkle the spice mixture onto the chicken and rub it in. Cook the chicken on the grill for 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Place the cooked rice and quinoa in a large bowl. Add the greens and most of the avocado herb dressing from the salad kit (reserve some dressing for drizzling on top) and toss to combine.
- Divide the salad mixture among three bowls. Slice the chicken into strips and arrange the slices on top of the grain bowls. Sprinkle the crispy quinoa, feta cheese and sliced almonds from the salad kit on top. Drizzle any extra dressing on top and garnish with a few slices of avocado, if desired.
Have you ever tried Eat Smart Gourmet Vegetable Salad Kits? What are your favorite ingredients to use in a grain bowl?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.