My Salmon Oreganata is a tasty and nutritious dish that’s perfect for busy weeknights. Oreganata is a classic Italian seafood dish in which the seafood (usually fish or clams) is topped with a crunchy mixture of breadcrumbs, olive oil, lemon and herbs, including oregano, hence the name. The topping sometimes includes parmesan or pecorino cheese as well. If you’re at all intimidated by the thought of cooking fish, then try this dish. Simply mix together the crumb topping, top the fish with it and pop it in the oven. In just about 10-12 minutes, you’ll have a delicious meal and it’s really good for you too!
Many types of fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have incredible health benefits. Omega-3s help decrease your risk of heart disease and stroke. They also are important for neurologic development, especially in fetal development and young children. They also reduce inflammation and boost immunity and may reduce the risk of certain types of cancer and improve arthritis symptoms.
Fish is also packed with protein and a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. It’s a great option whether you’re an athlete looking to fuel your performance or you’re just looking to improve your overall long-term health. To read more about the health benefits of salmon and other seafood, CLICK HERE.
This recipe is a great dish to make for your kids when introducing them to seafood. They’ll love the crispy, lemony topping and it complements the salmon’s delicate flavor and tender, flaky flesh without overpowering it. If your kids won’t eat salmon, this recipe would also work well with a wide variety of fish (like flounder, grouper or halibut) and other seafood like shrimp, clams or scallops.
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped parsley
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 salmon fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic, parsley, oregano, lemon zest, ¼ teaspoon salt and olive oil together in a bowl.
- Place the salmon fillets on a greased baking sheet or in an oven-safe skillet (cast-iron works well). Season them with salt and pepper. Spoon the topping evenly on top.
- Bake in the oven 10-12 minutes or until salmon is cooked through. Squeeze a generous amount of lemon juice on top before serving.