My delicious Salmon Oreganata has a simple topping of crispy, lemony breadcrumbs with garlic, parmesan, and oregano. It's the perfect way to dress up salmon for an easy, nutritious weeknight meal that the whole family will love. Plus, it can be made in about 20 minutes!
My Salmon Oreganata is a tasty and nutritious dish that's perfect for busy weeknights. If you're at all intimidated by the thought of cooking fish, then you must try this recipe. This salmon with breadcrumbs dish is so easy to make!
Simply mix together the breadcrumb topping, top the fish with it, and pop it in the oven. In just 10-12 minutes, you'll have a delicious and healthy meal that the whole family will love!
What is fish oreganata style?
Oreganata is a classic Italian dish. Oreganata style refers to a mixture of breadcrumbs, olive oil, garlic, and oregano (hence the name "oreganata"). Lemon and parmesan cheese are often added as well in some recipes.
The breadcrumb mixture is used to top seafood like fish, shrimp, and clams. Then the dish is baked in the oven until the topping is crispy and golden brown.
Clams oreganata is perhaps the most traditional oreganata dish. It's commonly eaten during the Italian Feast of the Seven Fishes, which is celebrated on Christmas Eve. Shrimp oreganata is another delicious and popular variation. Fish oreganata is commonly made with mild, white fish like flounder, tilapia or sole.
Although white fish is commonly used in fish oreganata recipes, I decided to make my dish with salmon. The crispy, lemony breadcrumb topping complements the salmon's delicate flavor and tender, flaky flesh without overpowering it.
This recipe is a great dish to make for your kids when introducing them to seafood. I mean, who doesn't love crispy breadcrumbs, right? If your kids won't eat salmon, try this recipe with a milder white fish or shrimp.
Salmon- a superfood
I use salmon in a lot of my dishes because it's a real superfood! Salmon is one of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which have incredible health benefits. It's also packed with protein and a wide variety of vitamins and minerals.
Our bodies don’t make omega-3s so we must get them from our diet. Here are just a few of the important things that omega-3s do:
- They help reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke
- They're important for neurological development, especially in fetal development and young children. They may also help reduce the risk of dementia in the elderly.
- They reduce inflammation and boost immunity
To learn more, read my post all about the health benefits of salmon.
What to serve with Salmon Oreganata
This salmon is delicious on a bed of mashed potatoes, rice pilaf, pasta or risotto. You can also serve a green vegetable on the side like asparagus, green beans, broccoli or peas. Here are a few ideas:
- Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese
- Roasted Asparagus and Grape Tomatoes
- Lemon Risotto with Peas and Asparagus
- Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- Quinoa with Roasted Vegetables
- Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries
Want more healthy recipes? Get my FREE eBook!
Take control of your health with my most popular superfood-packed recipes! Sign up for my email list and I'll send you my FREE Superfood Recipes eBook along with weekly recipes and health & wellness tips!
More tasty seafood recipes
- Salmon Burgers with Dill Yogurt Sauce
- Tilapia Piccata
- Sheet Pan Salmon with Sweet Chili Sauce
- Award-Winning Shrimp Saganaki (Greek Shrimp with Feta)
- Miso Maple Glazed Salmon
- Spanish Garlic Shrimp (Gambas al Ajillo)
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped parsley
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 salmon fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic, parsley, oregano, lemon zest, ¼ teaspoon salt and olive oil together in a bowl.
- Place the salmon fillets on a greased baking sheet or in an oven-safe skillet (cast-iron works well). Season them with salt and pepper. Spoon the topping evenly on top.
- Bake in the oven 10-12 minutes or until salmon is cooked through. Squeeze a generous amount of lemon juice on top before serving.