Smoky grilled chicken topped with a colorful fresh salsa, my Grilled Spiced Chicken with Mango Avocado Salsa is the perfect light summer dish!
I enjoy eating lighter meals in the summer. Summers in South Florida can be brutal and when I come home at the end of the day, the last thing I want is a meal that’s going to make me feel heavy and stuffed. I prefer easy recipes with clean, simple ingredients that I can just throw on the grill. I love incorporating lots of fresh vegetables, fruit and lean protein in my meals to keep me full and satisfied without weighing me down.
My Grilled Spiced Chicken with Mango Avocado Salsa is the perfect light and easy summer dish. Chicken is one of my favorite lean proteins to cook with and I love this time of year because of the abundance of produce at the market to pair with it. It makes it a whole lot easier to prepare nutritious, clean dishes with fresh ingredients while limiting the processed ingredients.
For my Grilled Spiced Chicken with Mango Avocado Salsa I make a simple spice rub for the chicken. I love homemade spice rubs- they’re a great way to add flavor to a protein without adding extra calories or fat. Plus, a lot of spice mixes and seasoning blends at the grocery store may contain hidden sodium. Spice rubs are also super fast unlike marinades, which usually require some time for soaking. The combination of chili powder, cumin and smoked paprika gives the chicken great flavor as well as color.
To top my chicken, I made a simple Mango Avocado Salsa. I tossed sweet mango with buttery avocado, crunchy red onion, fresh cilantro, lime juice and jalapeños for some heat. It's the perfect combination of colors, flavors and texture. It's hard to resist eating it out of the bowl so you may want to double the recipe! It's also great with tortilla chips.
This recipe can be put together in just about 20 minutes. While the chicken is on the grill, throw the salsa together and you’re good to go! It’s a delicious and nutritious summer meal that you can feel good about serving to your family.
Grilled Spiced Chicken with Mango Avocado Salsa
Mango Avocado Salsa:
- 1 ripe Haas avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Kosher salt and black pepper
Grilled Spiced Chicken:
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- Oil for brushing the grill
- To make the salsa, mix the avocado, mango, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice together in a medium bowl. Season to taste with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat. Brush with oil.
- Mix the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt together in a small bowl. Sprinkle the spice rub evenly over the chicken breasts, patting it in so that it adheres. Grill the chicken, about 4-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Remove from grill and serve with salsa.