You'll love these delicious and easy Fish Tacos with Pineapple Salsa! They're fast, fresh, and nutritious- perfect for grilling season. Your whole family will love them!
Are you firing up the grill this weekend? I definitely am! I throw everything on the grill, from fruit to pizza. Some of my favorite grilling recipes are my Grilled Peaches with Greek Yogurt, Tandoori Chicken Kebabs, and Beef Kofta Kebabs with Tzatziki Sauce.
But one of my favorite things to grill is fish. Not only is fish really good for you, it’s also super fast to cook! Plus, when you cook it outside on the grill, you don’t have to worry about any fishy odor lingering in your kitchen.
Quick and healthy meal
My Fish Tacos with Pineapple Salsa are fast, fresh, and nutritious. I tuck pieces of grilled cod into warm corn tortillas. Then I top them with a refreshing, sweet pineapple salsa.
It's a delicious and healthy meal that the whole family will love. And the best part is that all of that deliciousness comes together in a flash!
Fish is packed with lean protein, vitamins, minerals and omega-3 fatty acids, which have many health benefits. That's why the current USDA dietary guidelines recommend eating at least two servings (4 oz each) of seafood per week.
Fish really is brain food! It's packed with omega-3 fatty acids, which are especially important for brain health and heart health. Our bodies don’t make omega-3s so we must get them from our diet.
To learn more, read my post all about the nutritional benefits of seafood.
How to make fish tacos
You can use any firm white fish in these tacos like cod, halibut or grouper (I'm using cod in these photos). I toss the fish with a mixture of dried spices including thyme, paprika and cayenne pepper. I love using spice rubs because they’re a great way to add a ton of flavor to your food without adding calories.
Then I cook the fish on a grill or stovetop grill pan. The fish only needs a couple of minutes on each side- it's so quick! How good does that look?
How to make grilled pineapple salsa
To top the spiced fish, I make a delicious Grilled Pineapple Salsa. The sweet fruit is the perfect counterpart to the smoky, spiced fish.
First, I cut fresh pineapple into planks and brush them with oil. Then I toss them on the grill and let the magic begin! Grilling the pineapple caramelizes the natural sugars in the fruit and brings out its sweetness.
Then I chop up the grilled pineapple and mix it together with red onion, jalapeño pepper, cilantro, and lime juice. It’s an explosion of colors and flavors!
How to Ripen a Pineapple: Read my guide on how to ripen a pineapple so that you can enjoy the sweet, tropical taste of this golden fruit every time! Plus, get my tips on how to choose the perfect pineapple from the grocery store.
For a fun presentation, you can serve the salsa in a pineapple boat. Do this by cutting a pineapple in half and hollowing out the inside with a knife. You'll definitely impress your guests with this!
Assembling the tacos
To serve the tacos, I like to mash up some avocado with a little lime juice. Then I spread the mashed avocado on warm corn tortillas. You can use flour tortillas if you like.
Then I place a few pieces of fish on each tortilla and top it all with a couple of spoonfuls of colorful pineapple salsa. If you're not a fan of pineapple, you can make my fresh mango salsa instead.
I like to serve the tacos with sour cream or Greek yogurt, cilantro sprigs, and lime wedges on the side and let everyone add their desired toppings.
Taco perfection! I’m ready to dig in. Are you?
What are your favorite foods to grill? Leave a comment below and let me know!
What to serve with fish tacos
I like to serve these tacos with simple side dishes like rice and beans or a salad. You can also try my Game Day Guacamole, Mexican Street Corn Fritters or Beyond Meat Jalapeño Poppers. You can also try my fresh Mango Salsa.
More tasty grilling recipes
WANT MORE HEALTHY RECIPES?
Sign up for my email list and I'll send you my FREE Superfood Recipes eBook along with weekly recipes!
Fish Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
- 1 small pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced into planks or rings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeño
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 4 pieces (about 5 ounces each) cod, halibut or other firm, white fish
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 8 small soft corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- Optional toppings: cilantro leaves, lime wedges for garnish, sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat.
- Brush the pineapple with oil and place on the grill. Cook until grill marks form, 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook another 3-4 minutes on the second side. Remove from grill. Chop the pineapple and place it in a bowl along with the red onion, cilantro, jalapeño and lime juice. Mix to combine. Season the salsa with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the fish into 1-inch wide strips and place them in a bowl along with the thyme, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Toss to coat all of the pieces of fish evenly.
- Brush the grill with oil and add the fish. Cook 3 minutes then turn the fish over and cook another 2-3 minutes until opaque. Remove the fish from the grill.
- Mash the avocado and lime juice together in a bowl.
- To assemble the tacos, spread some mashed avocado on the warmed tortilla. Top with a few pieces of fish and grilled pineapple salsa. Serve with additional toppings such as cilantro leaves, lime wedges and sour cream or Greek yogurt.