Start your day off right with one of these tasty muffins! Packed with whole grains, protein and fiber, they'll give you long-lasting energy to get you through the day.
Rise and Shine Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups quick-cooking oats*
- ½ cup wheat germ or ground flaxseed
- ¾ cup coconut sugar or light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup reduced fat vanilla yogurt (I used Stonyfield Blends)
- ½ cup low fat milk
- ⅓ cup safflower or other neutral-flavored oil
- 1 ½ cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with 16 paper muffin liners.
- Mix the flours, oats, wheat germ, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Mix the egg, yogurt, milk and oil in a second bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined (do not over mix). Gently stir the blueberries into the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin cups, filling them about ¾ full (you should have 16 muffins). Bake 18-20 minutes until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes and then turn the muffins onto a rack and cool completely. Muffins can be served right away, refrigerated or frozen for later use.