These fast, flavorful turkey burgers are the perfect weeknight meal that the whole family will love.
These fast, flavorful turkey burgers are the perfect weeknight meal that the whole family will love. Turkey burgers sometimes have a bad reputation for being dry but you won’t have that problem with my juicy Salsa Turkey Burgers with Avocado Crema.
Mixing some of your favorite salsa into the meat is a fast and easy way to keep the patties moist and it also adds great flavor. I often add grated onion to my burgers to keep them moist but using store-bought salsa instead is a nice short cut and you can avoid the hassle of using a box grater.
To counteract the savory patties I top the burgers with a cooling avocado crema, which is avocado mashed with a little sour cream, lime juice and cilantro. It’s a great change from traditional ketchup or mayonnaise and it's so easy, you can make it while the burgers are grilling.
The nutrient-rich avocado is naturally creamy and adds healthy monounsaturated fats and fiber as well as folate, potassium and vitamins B6, C, E, and K. Substituting an avocado for mayonnaise is a great smart eating tip. A mashed avocado has a nice silky texture and you're substituting heart healthy monounsaturated fats for the not-so-healthy saturated fat found in mayonnaise.
Salsa Turkey Burgers with Avocado Crema
- 1 lb. ground turkey (93% lean)
- ¾ cup your favorite salsa, divided use
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled
- ¼ cup fat free sour cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 pieces butter lettuce
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- Mix the turkey, ½ cup salsa, cumin, ¾ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and cayenne pepper together in a large bowl. Form into 4 equal patties, making a slight indentation in the center of each patty so that they cook evenly. If patties are very loose, refrigerate for 10-15 minutes before cooking.
- Heat a grill pan or large skillet over medium high heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Grill the patties about 5 minutes on each side until the meat is cooked through.
- While the patties are grilling, mash the avocado, sour cream, lime juice and cilantro together in a bowl. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place a lettuce leaf on each bun bottom then top with a patty and a few slices of tomato. Top with a tablespoon of salsa. Spread some avocado crema on each bun top and close the burgers.