Get your grill ready! A nice change from the usual burgers, my Grilled Salmon Burgers with Dill Yogurt Sauce are perfect for summer grilling. These burgers are also a great way to incorporate nutritious seafood into your family's diet.
Are you looking for more ways to incorporate seafood into your family’s meals? If so, try my Grilled Salmon Burgers with Dill Yogurt Sauce. They’re easy to make, full of flavor, and you can just throw them on the grill- they cook in about 8 minutes. They’re perfect for summer!
One of my tips on how to get kids to eat more nutritious foods is to incorporate them into dishes that they’re familiar with. I make tasty kid-friendly seafood dishes like Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp, Tropical Fish Tacos with Pineapple Salsa, and Blackened Grouper Sandwiches for my kids.
These grilled salmon burgers are another great vehicle to introduce fish to your children. After all, who doesn’t love burgers?
Why You'll Love This Dish
- It's good for you! Salmon is a superfood and is packed with nutrients.
- It's easy! Just put the ingredients in a food processor and grind it all up. That's it!
- It cooks fast! These burgers cook quickly- throw them on the grill and they're done in about 8 minutes.
- Perfect for summer grilling! These burgers are equally suitable for a quick weeknight dinner or for weekend entertaining.
Salmon is a superfood! It's packed with an abundance of vitamins, minerals, and protein. It is also one of the richest sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which have numerous health benefits. Read my post all about the incredible health benefits of salmon.
Ingredients for Grilled Salmon Burgers
- Salmon- use skinless salmon filets. I like to use wild Alaskan salmon when possible.
- Old Bay Seasoning- a blend of herbs and spices that's perfect for seafood
- Mayonnaise- adds moisture and helps bind the burgers
- Dijon mustard- adds flavor and moisture
- Breadcrumbs- bind the burgers so they don't fall apart on the grill. I use panko breadcrumbs because they're airier than traditional dried breadcrumbs so they give the patties a lighter texture. You can also make homemade breadcrumbs from fresh bread.
- Scallions- adds a mild onion flavor. You can substitute shallots.
- Lemon juice and zest- add brightness and acidity
- Greek yogurt- the base of the Dill Yogurt Sauce. Can substitute sour cream or use a mixture of half yogurt, half sour cream.
- Sriracha- can substitute any hot sauce. I like to add a little spice to these burgers but you can leave it out if you prefer.
- Dill- salmon and dill are a natural pairing. Fresh dill takes the Dill Yogurt Sauce to the next level but you can substitute dried if you can't find fresh.
Step 1: Cut the salmon into chunks and place the pieces in a food processor.
Step 2: Pulse until salmon is ground into a paste but still has some small pieces for texture.
Step 3: Transfer salmon to a bowl and add the scallions, mustard, mayonnaise, Old Bay, lemon juice, zest, breadcrumbs, hot sauce, salt, and pepper.
Step 4: Stir to combine everything well.
Step 5: Form the mixture into 6 patties.
Step 6: Place the patties on a sheet pan and refrigerate them for 15 minutes to firm up.
Step 7: Brush your grill or stovetop grill pan with oil and cook the salmon burgers 3-4 minutes until browned on the bottom. You can also use a cast iron skillet or air fryer (see FAQ section below for air fryer instructions).
Step 8: Flip the burgers and cook 3-4 minutes until cooked through. Serve burgers on toasted buns with Dill Yogurt Sauce (see below) and desired toppings like avocado, lettuce and/or tomato.
I like to refrigerate the patties for about 15 minutes to allow them to firm up before cooking. Salmon burgers are not as firm as traditional beef burgers and this will help prevent them from falling apart on the grill.
Dill Yogurt Sauce For Salmon Burgers
I top these Grilled Salmon Burgers with a simple yogurt sauce mixed with fresh dill. After all, salmon and dill are a classic pairing! You can also substitute sour cream for the yogurt or use a mixture of half yogurt, half sour cream.
To add flavor to the sauce, I stir in a little dijon mustard and lemon juice. Simple and delicious!
How To Serve These Burgers
I like to serve these grilled salmon burgers on toasted hamburger buns or whole grain bread with the Dill Yogurt Sauce drizzled on top.
You can add your favorite burger toppings like lettuce, tomato or red onion. My personal favorite is avocado. There's something about the combination of salmon and creamy avocado that's just perfect!
For the perfect summer side dish, try my Chipotle Corn Salsa or Greek Zucchini Fritters.
Not sure if your salmon is past its prime? Read my post on How To Tell If Salmon Has Gone Bad so that you can always enjoy this delicious fish at its best!
Yes, these salmon burgers come out great in the air fryer! I tested them in my Ninja air fryer and they came out delicious and moist. Preheat your air fryer to 400°F and spray lightly with oil. Cook burgers about 8 minutes until done.
Yes, you can freeze these salmon burgers. I usually make a large batch and then freeze half of the patties before cooking them. That way I have them ready for a quick, nutritious weeknight meal anytime. When you're ready to eat them, defrost them in the fridge overnight and then cook as per the recipe.
Make sure your grill is well-oiled to prevent the salmon burgers from sticking. Get your grill nice and hot and then brush the grill rack with oil before putting the burgers on. After 3-4 minutes, when the burgers are done on the first side, they should release easily from the grill.
More Tasty Salmon Recipes
WANT MORE HEALTHY RECIPES?
Sign up for my email list and I'll send you my FREE Superfood Recipes eBook along with weekly recipes!
Grilled Salmon Burgers with Dill Yogurt Sauce
- 1 ½ lbs skinless salmon fillet (I like to use wild Alaskan salmon)
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 ½ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice plus 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or other hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Dill Yogurt Sauce:
- ¾ cup plain reduced fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh, chopped dill
- Salt and pepper
- Oil for brushing the grill
- 6 multigrain hamburger buns or bread, toasted
- Assorted toppings like sliced avocado, tomato or baby spinach
- Cut the salmon roughly into chunks and place the pieces in a food processor. Pulse until salmon is ground into a paste but still has some small pieces for texture. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the scallions, mustard, mayonnaise, Old Bay, lemon juice, zest, breadcrumbs, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Gently mix the ingredients together until combined. Form the mixture into 6 equal patties. Refrigerate the burgers for 15 minutes to firm up before cooking.
- To make the sauce, mix the yogurt, mustard, lemon juice, and dill together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill or stovetop grill pan over medium high heat. Add the burgers and cook 3-4 minutes until browned on the bottom. Flip the burgers over and cook an additional 3-4 minutes until cooked through. Serve the burgers on toasted buns with dill yogurt sauce and desired toppings.
This was on a whole other level of good.
Kristy from Southern In Law says
Ooooh, what a delicious recipe! I love yoghurt sauces and am always trying to find new ways to get Jesse to eat fish so I'm going to have to try this!
Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary says
Seafood is my favorite, and salmon is definitely one of my favorite fish! I love salmon burgers year around, but especially during the summer! These look beyond delicious, Sonali!!!! I am loving that dill yogurt sauce!!! I need to make these over the weekend for sure! Cheers!
Oh my, Sonali! These look absolutely divine. We've been buying pre-made salmon burgers from our fish monger, but you've inspired me to make my own!
Jessica @Small Bites by Jessica says
These look delish! Perfect way to enjoy salmon in the summer!
Sam @ Bites of Wellness says
Love that you are brave enough to make these from fresh salmon. I never want to deal with my food processor after the fact. But these look so good I think I need to get over that!
Julie @ Running in a Skirt says
I have some fresh-caught Alaska salmon in the fridge with this all over it. What a delightful recipe and I can't wait to try it.
Alisa Fleming says
It has been ages since I've had a salmon burger and I love them! I so need to make these soon.
Ashley | Fit Mitten Kitchen says
I loooovee salmon and I love burgers so naturally I would love these! I never know whether or not to cook the salmon first a little bit but it looks like you don't need to for this recipe. It looks so simple – definitely must try!
I can't wait to try these! Burgers are such a good thing to prep ahead of time but I've never made them with salmon!
Emily Kyle says
I have just started to enjoy salmon, but I have yet to have a salmon burger! This looks so good and easy to make, I love the addition of fresh dill from the garden. I can't wait to make this!
Pretty sure all we ever do is salmon baked or grilled but just as filets. So salmon burgers sound like the perfect way to switch it up. And the sauce for sure!!!
Taylor Kiser says
These salmon burgers are calling my name! Need to make these asap! And that dill yogurt sauce sounds perfect for these!
Deryn | Running on Real Food says
I don't actually eat fish, but I'll have to pass these on to my husband. We're going camping this week...so maybe we'll get a little fancy with these! Especially since my parents always have fresh caught fish 😉 Thanks!
Looks delicious and I love all the flavors. This screams summer and is my kind of burger.
Lisa @ NatureImmerse says
To finely dice salmon without crushing it, start by thinly slicing the fillet with a sharp knife. Cut the slices lengthwise into strips, then crosswise.
Plombier Paris says
Very Nice blog ! Feel good ! Tony
Gold Beach Oregon Rogue River Fishing Guide says
Made this for dinner tonight. It was delicious!
Yum Yum. Mouth watering.
Our favorite fish are salmon and halibut. Thank you for this excellent, simple recipe for the salmon burger. We love yogurt/ dill sauce.